Thursday, April 30, 2015

The Dry Corner in April

Anigozanthos "Bush Ranger"
A small burst of bloom from the Kangaroo Paws - Anigozanthos "Bush Ranger" - is a wonderful touch for this month's End of Month View from the garden.  I missed last month, but in February I began focusing this theme on the Dry Corner.

The Dry Corner is a patch at the entrance/exit to the garden, the point at which one walks out into the big world (generally headed straight to the horse corrals).  As it is furthest from the shade of the patio, I decided to make it the area where I used the most obviously xeric plants.  This gives it a little different character than the rest of the garden, but also allows me to trial some wonderful species in an area reserved for their preferences.

I have developed the garden more or less from the edge of the patio downward (the west edge of the garden), though gaps exist throughout.  So the east border, with the Dry Corner at one end, is one of the least fully planted areas.  Featuring it for the end of the month view has changed that a little.  I have gone ahead and added a few plants over the last couple of months.  Here we are now...
It all looks very sparse still!  But additions include Crassula "Campfire" in the foreground (foliage is colouring up nicely now it is in full sun)...
Crassula "Campfire"
and a second Anigozanthos behind it - just a clump of rather dubious foliage at present; this was one of my recent purchases from the discount shelf so no picture available yet!  To the far left is Senna nemophila.  This young Australian shrub gave a few of its yellow blooms in early spring.  The showing was rather brief, followed by one lone seedpod, since removed.  It has not settled in as easily as I hoped.  It is always a rather scantily clad bush, with its lovely narrow leaves forming a haze of pale green.  However, there is quite a bit of yellowing of leaves, and some leaf drop.  I don't know why at this point since this is said to be a well-adapted plant for the region.  The second picture is from early March, when the few blooms appeared.
Senna nemophila flower
It grows just below the anchor of the Corner, which is the more or less weeping Acacia salicina.  It has put out quite a bit of new growth this spring and is now officially taller than I am though its head droops such that the increase in height is not terribly obvious.  But it is looking healthy and happy.  It is hard to photograph as the stake bracing it is so much heftier than the tree itself.  Here is a close-up of the leaves, at any rate!
Acacia salicina
Another new plant is Lampranthus vygie "Lilac Mist" (I think that is the name - it's too late at night to go check!) just on the edge of the panorama view above.  It had plenty of flowers - hot pink rays and yellow centres - when I bought it, but they collapsed upon planting.  Foliage is blue-green and rather attractive.  I say this despite the fact that somehow I developed a rather negative attitude towards ice plant varieties generally - a silly attitude given their usefulness in extremely difficult garden situations!  Perhaps growing this one will encourage a more positive view of them.
Lampranthus foliage
So much for the newbies!  There are also the plants that have been in place for some months.  The most noticeable are still the Berlandiera lyrata with its bright yellow daisies and Senecio "Blue Fingers", a handsome clump of the bluest foliage in the garden.  Berlandiera has been blooming for months.  I have found that it does need a fair amount of water to support this habit!  For that reason I am debating relocating it, but perhaps not since it seems so well pleased with its current position.  Besides, it's pleasant to be greeted by that chocolate scent on my way in and out of the garden.
Berlandiera lyrata
Senecio keeps promising to bloom.  It is biding its time.  Although I am not growing it for the flowers, still the suspense does build up with a plant that sets buds and then holds them unopened for weeks.
Senecio "Blue Fingers" flower buds
Perhaps the brightest inhabitant of the Corner is a plant with no flowers and little enough in the way of leaves.  Euphorbia tirucalli "Firesticks" is a mass of brilliant, autumn-coloured stems.  According to San Marcos Growers, "Firesticks" is indeed the "Sticks on Fire" of commerce.  Ultimate size is unknown as it is not expected to grow as large as the green-coloured species, which reaches tree size.  I have tried to give it a little room to spread at any rate!
Euphorbia "Firesticks"Euphorbia "Firesticks"
A continual burst of bloom is coming from Tetraneuris acaulis, shown here with a friend.  Unlike the Berlandiera, T. acaulis has put out a fine stand of little yellow daisies while demanding very little water.  This is a wonderful dry-climate plant: vigourous, attractive, bright.  The foliage is very low-growing, but the flowers stand well up on long stems, making the whole effect more visible.
Tetraneuris acaulis, butterfly
Elsewhere in the garden, the transition to summer continues.  Some plants have slowed or ceased blooming, among them the Lavender stoechas varieties, though L. s. "Blueberry Ruffles" seems to be in a state of actual collapse.  L. s. "Madrid", on the other hand, appears to have paused in blooming merely to put on a burst of new foliage.  Rather to my surprise, Eremophila "Outback Sunrise" is still throwing off the occasional bloom.
Eremophila "Outback Sunrise"
Perovskia atriplicifolia has finally begun blooming...
Perovskia atriplicifolia
...and Cistanthe grandiflora continues to send up its exotic flower stalks loaded with buds, flowers, and spent blooms, all like so many baubles dancing in the breeze.
Cistanthe grandiflora
And, no pictures yet, but just today it appears that Salvia elegans will soon be in full bloom.

Well, that is all for this month's update.  As always, I will link with the End of the Month View meme at The Patient Gardener, where many other updates can be followed as well.

One last picture of Anigozanthos "Bush Ranger", the wonderfully deep red flower in the Dry Corner.
Anigozanthos "Bush Ranger"
Weather Diary: Sunny, High: 96 F (35.6 C)/Low: 62 F (16.7 C)

13 comments:

  1. So many stunning plants - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Alison - and thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
  2. The plants, though small, look fantastic - it's great to see the new garden being established in very tough conditions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Matt! Heading on into summer here... I find myself just hoping I've "done enough" to get the plants established in time for the heat!

      Delete
  3. We were almost as hot here today, Amy. Your dry corner is off to a good start. My own dry garden started in a similar way, with small plants here and there. There are still bare spaces but sometimes even I'm surprised by how well it has filled in 4 years - yours will find its way too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very encouraging, Kris :) Overall, I know you've been hit harder and faster by the heat this year than we have...! It's supposed to drop back into the 80s in a couple of days, and I'm hoping to get my little Aloe planted out - fingers crossed that it can settle in, but I think it has a better chance in the ground anyway.

      Delete
  4. my garden is also a dry garden of sorts as, although not hot here, we have little rainfall compared to the rest of the UK, so will consider some of your plants. Have a lovely weekend, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some of the best are the Salvias, Ann. There seem to be dozens of different species as well as quite a few cultivars, and I love just about each one I've tried (which I admit isn't very many yet!) I suppose I'm extra-enthusiastic at the moment because just this morning I found flower buds on my baby S. reptans ;-)

      Delete
  5. my garden is also a dry garden of sorts as, although not hot here, we have little rainfall compared to the rest of the UK, so will consider some of your plants. Have a lovely weekend, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does look dry and well done you for taking it on, many would consider it impossible. I have kangaroo paws, it lives in my greenhouse and is yet to flower. Thanks for joining in with the meme again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the kangaroo paws, despite the often scraggly leaves. Hope yours flowers soon for you! I'm still not sure that what I'm trying is possible; but if I don't try, I'll never know ;-) Thanks for hosting the meme, Helen; and as you can see, it ensured that this part of the garden received a little extra planting attention - all to the good!

      Delete
  7. It's not until I see a shot of the whole bed that I can fully appreciate just how dry it is there with you Amy. I do risk saying each month at how the Euphorbia fascinated me, it's an incredible looking thing isn't it? I like the blues and reds working together in this border, they all look good right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a curious thing that I seem to be able to get more colour faster in this part of the garden than in any other! Foliage colours (perhaps not the term to use for the Euphorbia?!) run a wonderfully wide range, and the flowers follow. I really need to try some other types of Euphorbia as this one seems to be settling in well :)

      Delete