Monday, September 28, 2015

Monday Vase: Happy Blues

monday vase meme, rose sterling silver, leucophyllum, perovskia, convolvulus, salvia reptans, small sunny garden
The South Border is finally developing with a colour theme of blue to lavender to soft pink.  This was not the original plan, but it is the one that is making the most sense as the garden takes shape.  Some shuffling of plants and clashing of colours is the inevitable result.

So I was very pleased to look up along the border yesterday and catch a glimpse of the desired effect.  This was possible because Salvia reptans has just begun blooming: its flowers are such a brilliant blue that they show up from a distance despite their miniscule size.
Salvia reptans, small sunny garden, desert garden
I decided to try to create a vase that would also reflect this colour scheme.
monday vase meme, leucophyllum, perovskia, convolvulus, salvia reptans, small sunny garden
The other components are Perovskia, Leucophyllum, Convolvulus cneorum, and a rose.  The Perovskia is finally putting out quite a bit of bloom.  It has grown laxly, with cane dieback that has worried me since planting.  I've wondered repeatedly whether it is actually a viable choice in this climate, but for now it is looking fairly healthy.

Leucophyllum frutescens is once more in bloom thanks to recent rains and occasional humidity.
Leucophyllum frutescens
Some Convolvulus cneorum foliage was added to the mix as well.
convolvulus cneorum foliage, monday vase meme
So I brought them together and added a single bloom from Sterling Silver, the hybrid tea rose.  It is currently in the Central Bed, assisting the visual muddle there.  It is slated for a move to the top of the South Border.  I don't have a particularly good record when it comes to moving roses, but I hope to accomplish this job satisfactorily given the looser soil it is growing in.  It is a beautiful rose and has done surprisingly well for me here; it has a reputation as a slow starter, but it seems to be happy in this dry climate and has bulked up nicely over the past year.
rose "Sterling Silver", hybrid tea rose, mid-century rose, small sunny garden, desert garden
I used the crystal vase given to me by my sister.  It has a lovely shape, perfect for an elegantly formed arrangement.
monday vase meme, leucophyllum, perovskia, convolvulus, small sunny garden
All together for a lavender with blue accents effect...
monday vase meme, rose sterling silver, leucophyllum, perovskia, convolvulus, salvia reptans, small sunny garden
The Salvia appears wilted in these pictures, and it was.  I took them in a hurry, partly because I had to leave for an appointment and partly because I was afraid the Salvia would collapse completely.  I am happy to say that as of this evening it has perked up instead.  This is an admirable plant for the hot, dry garden.  Its growth habit is open and rangy and could even be described as stringy, but somehow it still has a good deal of charm.  And it's one of the few true blues I've found to grow here so far.
Salvia reptans, small sunny garden, desert garden
On a different note: I realize that I have not posted as frequently lately.  I am hoping to correct this though frankly my difficulties with commenting on other blogs has taken some of the fun out of blogging, which is for me very much a two way street.  I don't enjoy talking to myself here!  A few WordPress bloggers (I've not had trouble with Blogger blogs) have made it possible for my comments to go through on their posts, but on most others I am still persona non grata.  To make matters worse, I've had at least one friend find it impossible to comment here as well!  Oh, the automated errors of cyberspace!

Having said which, I will be quiet about the whole fiasco for a bit, merely adding that this Monday Vase post is, as always, linked with Cathy's wonderful meme at Rambling in the Garden.

Happy Monday!
Leucophyllum frutescens, desert garden, small sunny garden
Weather Diary: Fair; High: 102 F (39 C)/Low: 76 F (24 C)

17 comments:

  1. The commenting problem must be so frustrating, Amy, and I hope bloggers will take note and check their settings and their spam. I love the shade of your Sterling Silver rose - it is so different from other roses - and I really need to add some perovskia here as it appears successfully in lots of vases. Hope the rose settles into its new home! Great photo of the Leucophyllum with its hairy petals! Thanks for sharing your subtle little vase today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so glad I went ahead and tried Sterling Silver here; it was a rather weak grower in my earlier garden, and I think the dry air suits it better. There's nothing quite like its combination of colour and form. Aren't those fuzzy Leucophyllum flowers fun?! I suspect Perovskia might grow better for you than it does here; I don't think it really enjoys the heat when it comes to it...! Thanks so much for your help with the comments problem; yours is one of the few blogs I can get through on; it encourages me to keep commenting anyway... ;-)

      Delete
  2. Love the light on this and the blue salvia...wonderful mixed with the mauve- pink and blue green foliage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Donna! The light was coming through the window just right... There don't seem to be many more true blue flowers for the desert garden than anywhere else, so I think this Salvia is a real treasure!

      Delete
  3. I do like this vase of pretty blues and pinks, which is offset so marvellously in the beam of direct sunlight from the window. Quite stunning. I also especially loved the penultimate photo of the blue salvias. Sorry to hear you have had trouble with commenting. From Wordpress, it is necessary to click on 'View Site' which is in tiny grey letters at the bottom of your post on our newsfeed. I have often been frustrated when reading yours and other various blogs when I've wanted to say something on a post but have found no comment box available. I'm glad I took the time today to look closer and find a way in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I've been thrilled to find a good blue for this garden, and having it work well in a vase is a very nice extra. I'm sorry you've had trouble getting through - they don't quite standardize these blog layouts, do they?! So glad you found your way through :) btw, I've left a comment on yours as well, but I believe it went straight to your spam folder... The WP machine is convinced I'm a spammer, I think...!

      Delete
  4. My Salvias don't seem to do all that well in a vase. I'm glad yours perked up - I've already pulled mine out of the vase I put together for IAVOM as most of the petals were scattered on the counter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very surprised these freshened up, Kris. My Salvia greggii varieties don't last at all well - maybe a max of 48 hours before they drop. So I expected this to do the same. You never can tell... ;-)

      Delete
  5. The Convolvulus foliage makes a great filler and adds a lot of structure. The pink flowers look good with the purple and blue accents too. Lovely rose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been amazed at how well the Convolvulus foliage works in vases, Hannah. Glad you like the colour blend! Thank you so much :)

      Delete
  6. lovely blue Salvia and Pevroskia is one of my favourite plants, but when I have seen it in gardens nearby it is often flattened by the coastal winds so I have tended to avoid it. I hope your problems with Wordpress are resolved soon - technology is great until it goes wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perovskia is said to be such a sturdy plant, but I do think it has its own preferences! Now that you mention it, wind may be making some of the trouble in my garden too - hot, not cold, but very drying! I'm finding it possible to get through on Wordpress sites occasionally now - which is a big improvement - though my comments on yours must have gone directly to your spam bin as they never, ever showed up...!

      Delete
  7. The rose is a lovely shade of pink among the blues. Have you tried the product 'Root Grow' when planting or moving roses, it was developed pacifically for roses. David Austin roses market it here in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not familiar with that particular product but could certainly look for it - thanks for the suggestion! I shouldn't have to move it until the weather is nice, which is one big advantage...

      Delete
  8. If the border looks as good as the vase you're on to a winner! Beautiful. I'm surprised you're having trouble with the Perovskia one of the few plants that survives the drought here. You mentioned that some of your soil is heavy, Perovskia doesn't like that, also lax growth is usually a sign of too much water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry I only found your comment now, Christina - hope the reply gets back to you! It might certainly be a soil issue for the Perovskia as that might also make it harder to get the watering right. At the moment it is finally blooming furiously so perhaps I can still win through with it. As far as drainage goes, I have an enormous range over the garden, from loose, fast-draining "fill" at the top, to the native clay at the bottom. The Perovskia is about halfway down... ;-)

      Delete