Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Monday Vase: A Rose Bowl

Monday vase meme, rose, Crown Princess Margareta, david austin rose, amy myers photography, amy myers ceramics, small sunny garden, desert garden
My Monday vase had to wait till Tuesday for posting, which is too bad as it was something of a climax for my young garden.  A whole bowl full of roses...
Monday vase meme, rose, Crown Princess Margareta, david austin rose, amy myers photography, amy myers ceramics, small sunny garden, desert garden
...with accents of lantana, which I'm finding a very useful plant.  I think I am coming to terms with the foliage scent as well, and I went so far as to buy a new one for the East Border.
Lantana, small sunny garden
I love the way the roses were able to nestle in among the lantana heads.
Monday vase meme, rose, Crown Princess Margareta, david austin rose, amy myers photography, amy myers ceramics, small sunny garden, desert garden, lantana
  Almost all the roses are from a single bush: Crown Princess Margareta.
Monday vase meme, rose, Crown Princess Margareta, david austin rose, amy myers photography, amy myers ceramics, small sunny garden, desert garden
A bud or two of Wollerton Old Hall found a way into the mix, but are more or less invisible.  St. Swithun sent in a couple of buds as well, but they are in a bud vase instead as their pink did not combine satisfactorily with the peach and yellow tones which make up the arrangement.
Monday vase meme, rose, Crown Princess Margareta, lantana, david austin rose, amy myers photography, amy myers ceramics, small sunny garden, desert garden
So I am very pleased: a whole bowl from my first year rose bush!  I hope next year goes as well.  I didn't even count the roses in bloom on the bush.  There were plenty!
Monday vase meme, rose, Crown Princess Margareta, david austin rose, amy myers photography, small sunny garden, desert garden
Enough to tumble over the edge of the bowl just a little...
Monday vase meme, rose, Crown Princess Margareta, david austin rose, amy myers photography, amy myers ceramics, small sunny garden, desert garden
This is another of my handthrown bowls, stoneware with a tin-white glaze and a little rubbing of iron oxide around the rim.  It is a sturdy size and shape, but I think it sets off the roses well.  Margareta's colours are delicate, but she is a very richly petalled rose.
Monday vase meme, rose, Crown Princess Margareta, david austin rose, amy myers photography, amy myers ceramics, small sunny garden, desert garden
And a bit of good news (for me, at any rate): I am finally able to comment on WordPress blogs again; a big thank you to all of you who helped get me back into WP's good graces!  Ed. ...or maybe not, as I seem to have lost another comment when linking for this post...!

And a special thank you, as always, to Cathy for hosting the Monday Vase meme!
Monday vase meme, rose, Crown Princess Margareta, david austin rose, lantana, amy myers photography, small sunny garden, desert garden
Weather Diary: Partly cloudy with some rain; High: 90 F (32 F)/Low: 75 F (24 C)

8 comments:

  1. Your roses never fail to amaze me, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. τελεια ομορφια!!!!!!!!!
    ευχες για μια ομορφη τεταρτη!!!
    αγγελικη

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, dear Aggeliki! Wednesday was very busy as I had to take my mother for a regular doctor's appointment, etc.; it was so nice to find your comment :)

      Delete
  3. A beautiful coloured bowl of roses, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Brian; Crown Princess Margareta has wonderful variations of tone, which come out so nicely in a bouquet like this.

      Delete
  4. such gorgeous soft colours and I love the way the roses tumble over the side of the bowl. The bowl looks lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so nice to have enough roses to tumble, Ann! I've been picking them at most a few at a time, so this was grand... Glad you like the bowl too. Thanks so much :)

      Delete