Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Monday Vase: Something Old, Something New

monday vase meme, small sunny garden, hamelia patens, russelia, leucophyllum, amy myers photography
Though there is nothing borrowed for today's vase, there certainly were "something old, something new" and, for that matter, "something blue" according to the old rhyme.

The something old was a good handful of stems from Russelia equisetiformis, which apparently blooms indefinitely!
Russelia equisetiformis, coral fountain
Something new is the orange-scarlet trumpets of Hamelia patens, one of my shrubs-in-waiting.  Known commonly as Firebush, it is expected to reach approximately 6 ft (1.8 m) in height and, I suppose, spread.  This is my first deliberate purchase for the new North Border.  The leaves are lovely as well as the flowers, and the foliage is said to exhibit some colour change for autumn - a fairly unusual feature in this mild-winter climate!
hamelia patens, small sunny garden
Something blue - or very nearly - is the bell-trumpets of Leucophyllum.  It bloomed massively again a few days ago, but most of the flowers are now on the ground following a brief but heavy rain.  The foliage alone is a worthy addition to a vase, and I was happy to still be able to include a few of the blossoms.
monday vase meme, hamelia patens, leucophyllum
The other components were both from foliage plants as well: a couple of sprigs of sweet basil and a spray from Artemisia "Powis Castle", which helped to bulk up the bouquet as well as adding a nice range of leaf colours.
monday vase meme, small sunny garden, basil foliage\
All went together into my favourite earthenware bottle, one I made last year.  It has a narrow mouth but is big enough to hold a little more material than I usually have available.
monday vase meme, small sunny garden, hamelia patens, russelia, leucophyllum, amy myers photography, amy myers ceramics
So many desert-adapted plants have tiny leaves (other than the succulents, which I haven't used much yet), that it was quite a treat to work with the big leaves of the Hamelia.  It's unlike anything else in this garden, reminding me of more temperate climate shrubs.  I need to see where it is from originally, but I understand it has come into common use across Texas, which is often a fair recommendation for trial here in the case of shrubs and perennials.

Linking rather late with Cathy's meme at Rambling in the Garden, where I hope to look over the other participating posts tomorrow... or rather, later today as we just passed midnight here...

By the way, I have had difficulties commenting on posts lately.  I leave comments only to see them disappear when I thought they were posted!  I know this is happening on WordPress sites - I haven't had a chance to check more closely.  But please be aware that I am more silent than absent, having enjoyed more than one post from friends and then finding myself unable to comment!

In any case, Happy Monday!
monday vase meme, small sunny garden, hamelia patens, russelia, leucophyllum, amy myers photography, amy myers ceramics
Weather Diary: Partly cloudy; High: 96 F (36 C)/Low: 75 F (24 C)

12 comments:

  1. a lovely arrangement, Amy. How super to have discovered a plant that blooms indefinitely! I love the addition of sweet basil too (we have managed to grow it here after several false attempts, but it won't like the cool temperatures we are currently experiencing).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's incredible to me that a plant can go on and on blooming like that :) I think this is the first time I've used basil in a vase, but I really like it too! It has come through the summer better than my potted thyme and oregano; no doubt but it's a heat lover! Have you ever successfully started it from seed? I was going to try and had some seeds on order, but they were sold out so that experiment is on hold...

      Delete
    2. yes, we did sow the basil from seed. The first few attempts resulted in no germination, but then it did germinate and seems to be doing well although rather slow-growing. I think I will have to pot it up and bring it indoors as winter approaches.

      Delete
  2. a lovely arrangement, Amy. How super to have discovered a plant that blooms indefinitely! I love the addition of sweet basil too (we have managed to grow it here after several false attempts, but it won't like the cool temperatures we are currently experiencing).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Firebush!
    It would appear that your comments have been treated as spam for some reason. I fished the latest one out and marked it as 'not spam', which I understand does feed back to Wordpress and lets them know that you are legit. It might be worth trying again and seeing if it now works. This has happened to me before (even though I have a WP account!) and it does right itself eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for your help, Jessica - as also for letting me know what had happened! I need to check again soon to see whether WP will let me back in by the fire yet... ;^) The longer I look at the Firebush, the better I like it - that's got to be a good sign...!

      Delete
  4. The Hamelia is wonderful! I love those leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking at the leaves again tonight, Kris; and I don't think my photos do them justice. On the backs the veining is strongly ridged; they're fairly heavily textured. Foliage texture like that is not something I have much of yet!

      Delete
  5. Isn't it frustrating to have this problem with posting comments - as a Wordpress user I have to watch my comments on blogspot blogs carefully as what happens to them seems to vary according to settings - and some flash up that they will be published after moderation but this appears so briefly you don't always notice it and think you have lost them. I am certainly aware with regular Monday vase-posters if I haven't heard from them and will check spam, which is where I found yours. hey ho - it must be worth our perseverance, I suppose! The actual vase you created last year is such a beautiful shape and that Russelia looks great in it and must be a real asset to your garden. My Clematis cirrhosa 'Freckles' tends to flower non-stop but isn't anywhere near as showy as this! The basil was a great addition - and again reminds us to look elsewhere than our flower borders. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for keeping an eye out, Cathy; and now that I can log into my account again, I can reply... ;-) That, however, was only a problem of balancing family computer availability! I tend to think of bloom cycles with plants and never of the little reliables that go on and on; but they are very special components of the garden, and I'm in awe of the amount of colour and exuberance from my Russelia. It has just started a new growth spurt as well, prompting me to recheck its anticipated size. Oops, I forgot it can get to five feet tall... ;-)
      By the way, it looks like my latest comment went into your spam bin again...

      Delete
  6. What a delicate arrangement ! It contrasts so well with the vase too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jane! Truth to tell, I was very happy with this one; the material all seemed made to go together :)

      Delete