Tuesday, June 28, 2016

In a Vase: Small but Elegant

monday vase meme, in a vase on monday, miniature rose, apollo, parade, poulsen, ceramics, desert garden, amy myers, small sunny garden
Yesterday was a very busy day, and to be honest I did not even think about putting together my vase until it was completely too late -- until I was trying to hurry out the door.  But there are compensations!

My final destination was the grocery store, where miniature roses once more tempted me to buy one neither as decor nor as gift, but as an addition to the East Border.  As I was unfamiliar with the varieties, I took a few minutes to google "Parade Roses".  Developed by Poulsen of Denmark, they are apparently among the most widely available potted minis, quite lovely with their comparatively large, ruffled blooms.  As I wrote in my last post, I have been very impressed with the way miniature roses grow in this climate, so I brought home the bronze-toned "Apollo" with the intention of planting it out as soon as weather gives it a reasonable chance of survival.  My one concern with apricot colored roses is the tendency to go pink in very hot weather, which will be a real problem in a yellow to orange themed border; but I decided to to take the chance with this one.  I can always cut the blooms and bring them inside!

Having brought my little treasure home, it occured to me that I could still put together a Monday Vase.
monday vase meme, in a vase on monday, miniature rose, apollo, parade, poulsen, ceramics, desert garden, amy myers, small sunny garden
Sprigs of Pennisetum setaceum "rubrum"...
monday vase meme, in a vase on monday, miniature rose, apollo, parade, poulsen, ceramics, desert garden, amy myers, small sunny garden
 ...completed the arrangement in a dark-glazed stoneware bottle.  The bottle is another recently fired piece, so this week I get to use both a new flower and and a new vase.
monday vase meme, in a vase on monday, miniature rose, apollo, parade, poulsen, ceramics, desert garden, amy myers, small sunny garden
I could make nothing with the light by that time, though, so had to wait till this morning to photograph and post!

I look forward to planting it out.  Buying it now, I am presuming on the arrival of monsoon weather with its increased humidity and (hopefully) occasional rains.  But the change in season (see also "Beginning of the Rains") was palpable yesterday though we have had hardly a drop of rain yet.

Linking with Cathy's IaVoM at Rambling in the Garden, where no doubt there are many lush summer vases today!
monday vase meme, in a vase on monday, miniature rose, apollo, parade, poulsen, ceramics, desert garden, amy myers, small sunny garden
Weather Diary: Fair with a slight chance of thunderstorms; High: 108 F (42 C)/Low: 86 F (30 C); Humidity: 17%-40%


5 comments:

  1. That rose is so lovely Amy, and in no way would you think it was a miniature from that photo - it is just so perfect. Thnaks for sharing - you are certainly making me think I ought to investigate some of these miniature roses too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the way the blooms from this plant are almost quartered! They are quite large for miniatures; I've had floribundas with blooms no bigger. I'll be very curious to see how large the plant itself grows!

      Delete
  2. You really have made miniature roses a very interesting future prospect for me, Amy. I hope you get the rain soon - I know how that humidity builds to become almost unbearable when the temperature is running high.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm beginning to think they're succeeding so well partly because they are selected to withstand low humidity indoors. What an opportunity... ;-) Yes, we're sweltering out here, still waiting for a first good rainfall.

      Delete
  3. This really is a beautiful rose! A great find!

    ReplyDelete