Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Garden Tour from a Truant

I'm blaming it on the weather (as in, it's too hot to think!).  Also on the interruptions of a visit from the plumber.  And a trip to town, not counting the brief stop for plant bargain-hunting, of course -- more on that later.  And the energy it took to turn my now-large compost heap in the heat... which brings it back to the weather...

The fact is, I've missed two regular weekly memes already and it's only Tuesday night!  I am sitting at the computer looking across at Monday's vase.  There was no way of knowing for certain that Caesalpinia pulcherrima and one stem of Hamelia patens would not survive cutting well.  As it happens, it seems they don't!  So there went the Monday Vase as yesterday was too busy for a second try.  As for today, I felt that turning and watering that compost heap simply had to be done... and I was too bushed afterward to take pictures of the South Border.  Trust me, it hasn't changed much since last week!

Instead I took a quiet, fairly random look at the garden, camera in hand.  Here is the mini tour.

Caesalpinia pulcherrima, while not useful for bouquets, is growing well in the East Border.  It is seen here with Artemesia x "Powis Castle" behind.
Then this miniature rosebud caught my eye.
Also there is some good bloom on Eremophila hygrophana.
And if you get down and look, there are nearly always bees on the nearby oregano.
Penstemon pseudospectabilis "Coconino County" is still popping up flowering stems.  This gives it a far, far longer bloom season than P. parryi, which is decidedly a spring-flowering species for me.
In the Rose Border there are more blooms on Crown Princess Margareta.
As for that trip to the garden center, July is a good time to go cactus shopping.  Results are my first Golden Barrel cactus (Echinocactus grusonii).
And at last I found plugs of Eustoma grandiflorum.  I'm debating how soon to try planting any of these out into the garden.
And back on the bargain shelves, there was Tetraneuris acaulis glabra, the low-growing evergreen that sends up cheerful yellow daisies through much of the year.  This plant looks a bit wispy, but these generally look pretty wispy when young.  I'm fairly sure it has a good deal of life left in it; at any rate it seemed well worth a dollar!
There would certainly have been more purchases if I hadn't recently placed my iris order!  Besides, don't tell anyone, but I already have several small cactus plants waiting on the patio.  Among them is the beautiful blue of Melocactus azureus.
If cooler weather ever gets here, I'll have a good deal of planting to do!
Weather Diary: Fair; High: 107 F (42 C)/Low: 86 F (30 C); Humidity: 18%-48%




3 comments:

  1. It's annoying that some perfectly beautiful flowers really don't like life in a vase! The Duranta and Catananche I used in my blue vase this week didn't last long either but fortunately the other contents of the vase have hung on. I'm glad you found some Eustoma! Those I planted as plugs in April are still struggling by comparison to last year's more established plants so you may want to exercise caution and put them in a large pot for now - or try some in a pot and others in the ground. I've found they flower best here in full sun but the plant foliage can yellow and/or burn in intense sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the advice on the Eustoma, Kris - I'll definitely pay attention ;-) I'm still not sure why it's being sold now when it's much too hot for bedding plants to establish in the garden - perhaps they're just intended for containers! But yours have been so inspiring that I will try them out in the garden once the heat breaks. Too bad about the Duranta and Catananche; they were so pretty in your arrangement!

      Delete
  2. You are definitely not a truant Amy... I think that description is mine at the moment! Anyway I loved your little tour... I will be interested in how the Eustoma or Lisianthus grows for you. I've been considering growing it as a cut flower but I know so little about it and I have never seen it here so I think I would have to raise it from seed.

    ReplyDelete