Tuesday, November 18, 2014

A New Arrival!


ornithogalum arabicum, star of bethlehem, flower bulbs

Whooping and other sounds of rejoicing were heard in the garden this morning.  The first green nose is poking up from the garden bed.  Star of Bethlehem (Ornithogalum arabicum) is the first of my bulbs to show.  So far it's only one (five O. arabicum were planted).  Eighty-four bulbs yet to sprout...

I haven't known what to anticipate in the way of timing since the seasons here are a law unto themselves.  Summer is tough, and winter is relatively mild though we can get some freezing temperatures.  In fact, the cold winds we had yesterday felt like they carried a little mountain snow in their moist chill.  Does this encourage the bulbs?  As I say, I don't know when the rest of them will sprout, let alone bloom.  But I'm happy to see this one!
ornithogalum arabicum, star of bethlehem, flower bulbs

No comments:

Post a Comment