Sunday, November 30, 2014

End of the Month Update

Eremophila, emu bush, foliage
The End of the Month meme has been suprisingly encouraging this month.  All the more so since I was beginning to be a little discouraged by the rather patchy look of everything at this stage.  It is difficult some days to see anything more in this brand new garden than plants randomly spotted in bare (or nearly bare) soil.  But if you look closely, everything is growing, there are some new plants, and the bit of hedge at least shows that some structure is in the mind of the gardener, if hardly visible in the garden so far.
rosemary hedge
Filling in doesn't happen overnight - or does it?  I am convinced that the Coral Fountain (Russelia equisetiformis) is taller than it was when planted a week ago.  And it is still sending out its spectacularly-coloured mini trumpets.
Coral Fountain, Russelia equisetiformis, firecracker plant
Also still blooming well is the Autumn Sage (Salvia greggii), which is proving a wonderful magnet for hummingbirds.  The plant has fallen open in the middle a bit.  There is new growth down at the center so I think all is well, but I do wonder whether I might be overwatering.  I have given it one or two light feedings as it's said to need extra nitrogen, Judging by the flowers, it's fairly happy!
autumn sage, autumn moon, salvia greggii
And several plants are very quietly putting out new foliage.  The Emu Bush (Eremophila) shown at the top of the page (which I am now about 85% certain is the pink-blooming variety "Valentine") has a lovely dusky shade to the leaves; and yes, there are more of those leaves!  Even more difficult to "watch grow" is the tiny Damianita (Chrysactinia mexicana), but the branches with their needle-like, resinous foliage have lengthened and sent out new little needly leaves at the tips.  This is a very quiet plant; I don't know how else to describe it.  Perhaps when it finally puts out its little yellow daisies, it will have a different effect.  In the meantime, I am trying mainly to ensure that I don't pamper it.  It is a real desert native so too much coddling might prove fatal.
damianita, chrysactinia mexicana
All the Ornithogalums are accounted for now.  I look forward to the flowers!
Ornithogalum arabicum, star of Bethlehem, flower bulb foliage
As well, there are the newest additions.  Fortnight lily (Dietes vegeta) went in just this morning, and I was happily surprised at the striking effect of its deep blue-green fans of foliage.  I look forward to the white-and-lavender, iris-like flowers, but those will come a little later...
Dietes vegeta, fortnight lily
Lastly, finally, a couple of lavenders.  Both are varieties of Spanish lavender (Lavandula stoechas).  They are "Blueberry Ruffles" and "Madrid", the one shown here; this is the only bloom stalk with any flowers open; "Blueberry Ruffles" is still a very young plant!  I love the deep colour; it will work well against the pale desert colours, I think.
Lavender stoechas "Madrid", Spanish lavender
  A big thank you to Helen at The Patient Gardener for encouraging us to take a good, comprehensive look round the garden once a month with this meme.  It all looks very patchy here, but everything is starting small.  I estimate that I have until early or mid-March to install plants, so that is mostly what I am focusing on.  In the meantime, I'm encouraged that the already planted ones are growing well.
coral fountain, firecracker plant, russelia equisetiformis

2 comments:

  1. ολα τα φυτα δειχνουν να αναπτυσσονται κανονικα! αλλωστε εκπεμπουν τοση αγαπη, γι᾽᾽ αυτα, τα γραπτα σου
    που ειμαι βεβαιη πως δεν θα σε προδωσουν.καλη σου μερα και παλι! αγγελικη.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, I have been worried nothing would grow here at all, which was a little silly of me ;-) But I am glad the plants seem to enjoy the garden, and I am glad to share my own pleasure in it here :))) Wishing you a beautiful day!!!

      Delete