Thursday, December 11, 2014

Hummingbirds in the Garden!

hummingbird, autumn sage, flowers to attract hummingbirds
Hummingbirds in the Autumn Sage...

It appears that we have a pair of these lovely little birds now.  I had the camera available and caught some pictures of the female a couple of mornings ago.  Here she is, hovering around the flowers and keeping an eye on me!  I wish I could have shown the male also, with his brilliant magenta-purple head and breast.  This little female seems to have a touch of colour on her throat, but I think the yellow on her bill is pollen...
hummingbird, autumn sage, flowers to attract hummingbirds
They adore the Autumn Sage (Salvia greggii), and I have just bought a second variety to increase the larder.  The one above is the pink and white "Autumn Moon".

They are delightful little personalities, not furtive though their rapid movements and small size did make it difficult for me get quality pictures.  These were taken from just the other side of the flower bed, the camera was on sports setting, and still most of the pictures were useless except just to prove that she really was there!  Hopefully these few give a glimpse of  her vibrant beauty.

There is some debate over what type of hummingbird these are.  The male does like to sit in the top of our apricot tree and sing a little buzzing song, which may well mean they are Anna's hummingbirds; my sister had a face-to-face meeting with him and thought he was a Costa's hummingbird.  I'm sure we will sort it out in time.

In the meantime, does it matter?  They're marvelous little jewels, whatever the name!
hummingbird, autumn sage, flowers to attract hummingbirds

2 comments:

  1. They are absolutely gorgeous and you did so well to get the pictures, given how fast they move. So envious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Jessica! I do hope I'll be able to post some more shots, including the male, one of these days. At least they're such brave little birds that they don't mind me sitting nearby with the camera...!

    ReplyDelete