Monday, November 30, 2015

Monday Vase: The Colour Orange

Monday vase meme, rose tropicana, leonotis, cyclamen, euphorbia, amy myers, ceramics, small sunny garden
Today's vase includes some unusual characters.  I had the chance to put together several orange-toned flowers - not golden orange this time, but some more exotic versions of the hue.

First off, I was kindly given permission to cut a couple of perfect buds from my sister's rose "Tropicana", which has been blooming enthusiastically in an enormous pot on the back patio.  Classic hybrid tea blooms and stems (which I did not make the most of as I cut them quite short) give a certain elegance to their colour.
Monday vase meme, rose tropicana, leonotis, cyclamen, euphorbia, amy myers, ceramics, small sunny garden
I know I have mentioned this before, but just in case anyone goes hunting for this rose, it was developed by Tantau and given the name Super Star in the UK.  I think there was some prior name usage conflict which prevented the same name being used in the US, where it was duly brought out as Tropicana.  Admittedly. I'm relying on my memory of a book I no longer have (by Harry Wheatcroft), but I think my memory is correct.

Behind, you can see some stems of Euphorbia "Firesticks", carrying on the idea.  Rather than dipping the Euphorbia stems in boiling water, I opted for the faster technique of singeing the cut ends, which seems to work well at blocking the oozing milky sap typical of Euphorbias.  The colour on this plant has deepened considerably with the coming of cooler weather, making it irresistable to try cutting some.
Monday vase meme, euphorbia, amy myers, small sunny garden
I slipped in a couple of white cyclamen flowers from a little potted plant.
Monday vase meme, rose tropicana, leonotis, cyclamen, euphorbia, amy myers, small sunny garden
And the last bit of orange was supplied by a stem of Leonotis.
Monday vase meme, leonotis,  euphorbia, amy myers, ceramics, small sunny garden
I clustered the flowers, with a good many rosemary clippings and a stem of yellow pomegranate leaves, in a low stoneware dish.
Monday vase meme, rose tropicana, leonotis, cyclamen, euphorbia, amy myers, ceramics, small sunny garden
Not a perfect arrangement, but a fun one anyway!

I thought I would slip in a shot of Thursday's Thanksgiving Day vase as well.  It was plonked together very rapidly in between fixing cranberry sauce and cantaloupe salad, and making some stuffing.  And I couldn't take much time to photograph it, but here it is, along with a second bouquet by my sister (using Tropicana roses!) not to mention some food...
I hope all of you celebrating had a wonderful Thanksgiving!  

And now it's Monday, so time for the Monday Vase meme with Cathy at Rambling in the Garden!

Happy Monday!
Monday vase meme, rose tropicana, cyclamen, euphorbia, amy myers, ceramics, small sunny garden
Weather Diary: Mostly clear; High: 60 F (16 C)/Low: 36 F (2 C)

8 comments:

  1. It was good of your sister to let you have some of her beautiful roses. I considered using Euphorbia tirucalli in my own arrangement this week but abandoned the plan because I didn't want to deal with the sap. Thanks for the tip about singeing the ends - that's quicker than the boilng water method.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sarah has been more relaxed about cutting flowers than I am ;-) I felt the singeing was a good solution with the Euphorbia; in fact, I just used a lighter on the cut ends while standing out in the garden - the only problem was the wind... Hope it will work for you!

      Delete
  2. It is a fun arrangement in a lovely pot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty, Amy. I like the firesticks with the roses and the contrasting dark green rosemary. Your Thanksgiving arrangement with the lavender roses was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eliza! I had such a good time combining the firesticks stems with those roses... :) I had used some euphorbia in the Thanksgiving vase also, though it's barely visible in the photo here. It makes a wonderful effect with the formal roses, I think.

      Delete
  4. Your talents are boundless! What a stunning arrangement! I love the Euphorbia Firesticks, because it is so unusual but also so effective and looks gorgeous with that rosemary. Love the Thanksgiving arrangement too! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks, Kate :) I dithered for months over whether to try cutting the Euphorbia - caustic sap and boiling water and all that! -but it turned out to be easy enough; and you're right, it's quite effective in an arrangement!

      Delete