Saturday, June 4, 2016

The Plants: Chrysactinia mexicana

amy myers, small sunny garden, desert garden, damianita, chrysactinia mexicana, plant encyclopedia, photography
This is the first post for my small plant encyclopedia here at the blog; and for this, I am looking at the very first plant that went into the garden here.  Or rather, its replacement!  More on that in a moment...

Chrysactinia mexicana, commonly known as Damianita, is a small, woody subshrub with delightfully aromatic foliage, blanketed with yellow daisy-type flowers in spring and sporadically at other seasons.  Being native to the Chihuahuan Desert, it adapts well to the intense sunlight and heat of the low desert.  Its needle-like foliage is deep green and dense and can be lightly spotted; it is handsome year-round.  Straw-colored seedheads follow the flowers but are not very ornamental.  It is a small plant, normally about 1-2 ft (30-60 cm) high and 2 ft (60 cm) wide.
amy myers, small sunny garden, desert garden, damianita, chrysactinia mexicana, plant encyclopedia
In my own garden, it seems capable of enjoying a great deal of sun.  Though I have not grown it in full sun, it is one of few plants to lean toward light here, rather than away from it!  My first plant was in very well-drained soil next to the patio; the current specimen is down in much tighter clay soil at the bottom of the garden.  So far both positions seem to have been acceptable.  In both cases I amended the soil by about half at planting time.

A note on the loss of my first plant.  I decided it was in the wrong location and attempted to move it.  Like some other desert species, it deeply resented the attempt!  It wilted within minutes of being dug and never recovered, despite a fairly good (I thought!) transplanting job.  I read afterwards that it is, in fact, a very difficult plant to move successfully.  Very!

A few more facts, mostly from the Wildflower.org site, in matters which I can't test in my own garden!  Damianita is said to be hardy to 0 F (-18 C).  In the wild it is found on limestone and caliche, which would make it a gem for some very difficult gardening situations.  It is undoubtedly extremely drought-tolerant and grows well in alkaline soils.  As with many plants with fragrant foliage, it is deer and rabbit resistant.

I wish I knew the background of the common name.  Any information out there?

So far as I am concerned, this is a staple plant for a desert garden.  Despite its small size, it supplies year-round structure and intense seasonal color, besides being as carefree as a plant could well be!  A little supplemental water will be necessary in the low desert, being careful not to overwater as seasons change; and it will look neater if seedheads are trimmed occasionally.  Other than that, it needs little attention -- other than admiration!
amy myers, small sunny garden, desert garden, damianita, chrysactinia mexicana, plant encyclopedia

6 comments:

  1. I've admired this plant when I've seen it featured on some of the Texas garden blogs. I've never seen it offered for sale here, although it seems a good candidate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would think it would be a good choice there too, Kris; it certainly doesn't seem to require winter chill. It's a little more "native" looking, but in many cases that could be fun to work with :)

      Delete
  2. it sounds like the perfect 'all rounder' plant for your garden. I love your new blog design :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ann! I have been itching to redo the blog a bit and at last just couldn't leave it alone ;-)
      'All rounder' is definitely the right description for damianita here!

      Delete
  3. What a sweet little plant and it looks like a really useful one too! Like the new layout for the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like a low-growing conifer, but covered with daisies! Just love it... So glad you like the new layout - thanks so much :)

      Delete