Tuesday, September 13, 2016

In a Vase: Small and Thymely

It has been quite a while since I've used a teacup for a Monday Vase.  Today seemed like a good time for another, particularly since I wanted to use smaller, more delicate material.

The basic component is actually lemon thyme (Thymus x citriodorus).  It remained much greener through this, its second summer season; and it is gradually coming out of its summer doldrums now.
There is also a stem of Eremophila hygrophana...
Eremophila hygrophana
...and a stem or two of my new acquisition Leucophyllum pruinosum "Sierra Bouquet", both of which add some soft gray foliage.
Leucophyllum pruinosum "Sierra Bouquet"
This is picked up by rose "Sterling Silver", also just waking up as summer draws down.
The most surprising component is surely Penstemon pseudospectabilis "Coconino County", which has never been without at a least a stem or two of flowers all summer long!  This cluster was, admittedly, lolling on the ground in the shade of the nearby lavender, so I thought I might as well bring it in.
I like the combination of soft colors with the muted gray-green of the teacup and saucer.
As the thyme formed a tangle of stiff stems, I did not have to use foam or any other additional support for this very casual little posy in a teacup.
Most of my garden time lately has been spent tidying up for the oncoming autumn growing season, and even more has been spent planting irises as both my iris orders came within the same week.  It's great to take some time out to bring a little bit of the garden indoors.  Thanks to Cathy for the encouragement to do so!  Do check the other vases inspired by her IaVoM theme at Rambling in the Garden!
Weather Diary: Fair; High: 99 F (37 C)/Low: 82 F (28 C); Humidity: 19%-53%


  1. The tea cup combination is wonderful, Amy. I was wondering whether you used foam to keep everything in place - you did well with using the thyme for that purpose.

    1. Thanks, Kris! I had to bunch the thyme in my hand and cut the stems together before putting them in the cup. But after that everything worked quite well. I've used foam for these before, but I didn't want to have to tape it into place over the gold rim ;-)