Friday, February 13, 2015

Variations in Red


Russelia equisetiformis, Coral Fountain
Having posted about a blue flower and then about yellow flowers, I decided to round out the trio with a post on the red flowers currently blooming in the garden.  Besides, what could be better for Valentine's Day than a collection of red flowers?

There are, of course, the red buds, pink flowers of Eremophila "Valentine", so spectacularly in bloom right now.  Its size, its evergreen foliage, and the colour and slight translucency of the flowers allow it to have something the effect of an azalea, under conditions of intense sunlight and dry soil.
Strong reds, I find, look good here in the desert, from scarlet to deep crimson; and I have already managed to collect some rather vibrantly coloured blooms.  In retrospect, one reason there are so many is because I am trying to ensure a good supply of hummingbird plants, and hummingbirds do seem to like them red!  The most obvious example is Russelia equisetiformis, just returning to full bloom.  Not fragrant, its brilliant scarlet trumpet blooms seem to satisfy the hummingbirds nicely.
Russelia equisetiformis, Coral Fountain
Another hummingbird plant is Autumn Sage (Salvia greggii).  I've shown the variety "Autumn Moon" here frequently...
Autumn Sage, Autumn Moon, Salvia greggii
...but the more recently planted "Flame" is also coming into bloom at last.  Its hue hovers between scarlet and crimson with a light gold dusting on the hood.
Autumn Sage "Flame", Salvia greggii "Flame"
Another striking red has come from the Australian Kangaroo Paws, Anigozanthos flavidus "Bush Ranger".  Most of the flowers are spent and a good deadheading is due, but a few smaller clusters have emerged.  By the way, hummingbirds have been observed on this plant also.
Kangaroo Paws, Anigozanthos, Bush Ranger
Then there is a beautiful foliage red from Sedeveria "Sorrento".  The leaves were a softer green with red tones when I purchased the plant, but the foliage took on these strong mahogany hues soon after planting.  At first I thought it was the result of lower temperatures; now I suspect it to be due to the amount of sunlight, in which case it should certainly maintain this colour.
Sedeveria "Sorrento"
A more recent addition - in a colour I am exceedingly happy with - is an Armeria.  It has been blooming profusely, despite the leaves wilting badly several times before I realized it would require extra water as it was settling in and blooming simultaneously.  The blooms never faltered and are a luscious deep hue.
Armeria
Lastly, the red, red rose...  This is a miniature with a great deal of substance to the flowers.  The variety is Daniela, a Kordes & Sohne introduction.  It came home, most unfortunately, with spider mite; and the plant was nearly defoliated.  It is putting out some new growth now, along with a couple of lovely blooms, large for the size of the plant.  If the little bush makes a full recovery, it will be a fine addition to the garden.  Setbacks notwithstanding, it seems to be a vigourous selection; and the blooms are exquisite with a light rose-scent and a perfect deep crimson colour.
rose, miniature rose, Daniela, Kordes & Sohne


10 comments:

  1. Beautiful red blooms, Amy. I'm sure the hummingbirds love your garden. Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly hope the hummingbirds enjoy it, Kris - I love watching them. Thanks - Happy Valentine's Day :)

      Delete
  2. Red, my favorite flower color. Yay! Especially the armeria which is always listed as drought tolerant but never is. Loves the coast. Yours is a beautiful color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love the colour of that Armeria, Jane; but it is a water guzzler right now! My Salvia greggii needed loads of water when I first planted it, but it has become much more tolerant of dry soil over the months, so I'm hoping the Armeria will do the same since I can't give it coastal conditions ;-)

      Delete
  3. That's a great collection, I love red flowers. Especially the strong reds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've surprised myself with how well I like them, Jessica. My earlier garden leaned toward lighter tones, but right now those strong reds make me happy whenever I look at them :) I have more on order...!

      Delete
  4. Hi Amy, it has taken me a little time to find your blog, but now that I have I think I will be a frequent visitor! Such lovely blooms and, as you say, a perfect colour choice for Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you finally found it, Ann - come back anytime :) I need to make it easier to find and follow the blog, but I'm not very experienced yet...

      Delete
  5. Belle collection de fleurs rouges toute plus belles les unes que les autres. Tes variétés sont dignes d’intérêt, j'en connais quelques unes mais je découvre ce soir des fleurs d'une grande délicatesse. Quel bonheur d'avoir dans son jardin des colibris. Tes photos sont sublimes...
    Belle soirée

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many, many thanks for your kind words, Jocelyne! I am happy to be able to show some of these little treasures unique to this climate. They match well with the hummingbirds, I think :) Merci et Belle soirée...

    ReplyDelete