Sunday, August 2, 2015

Planting the Exotic: Caesalpinia pulcherrima

Foliage of Caesalpinia pulcherrima, small sunny garden
As I promised yesterday, here is a post on the latest addition to the East Border.  Remember what the new Caesalpinia pulcherrima looked like in mid-June?  A very small plant in a nursery pot...
In the intervening month and a half, it grew quite a bit...
It has been growing so happily in high heat that I decided to go ahead and plant it.  I thought it might be best if some of that energy were put into root growth in the flower bed.  So yesterday morning I took advantage of the (somewhat) rain-softened soil and dug a big hole for it.  In it went.  As of this morning it looks happier still...
planting Caesalpinia pulcherrima
Caesalpinia pulcherrima is actually a fairly common plant here, used in commercial and municipal planting; but it is so lovely that even seeing it in roadside swathes cannot make it banal.  It is a delicate-looking shrub with an iron constitution.

Leaves are finely divided.
Foliage of Caesalpinia pulcherrima, amy myers photography
New growth is slightly coppery.
Caesalpinia pulcherrima, new growth
Blossoms are brilliantly coloured, mounted on wiry stems that nod with the ever-present wind.  (This picture is the best I can do; it is from a plant in a parking lot.  My own little bush is not large enough to bloom yet.)
Flowers of Caesalpinia pulcherrima
From various sources I learn that it is native to the tropics and subtropics of the Americas, possibly originating in the West Indies.  It can reach as much as twenty feet (6 m) tall according the Missouri Botanical Gardens, though it usually stays much smaller (and had better, in this garden!) with sizes from 6 - 10 ft (2 - 3 m) high.  It can be damaged at 32 F (0 C) and is killed back to the ground below 20 F (-7 C) .  It is drought-tolerant but can also accept some water.  Most importantly, it blooms happily in summer even under conditions of intense light and heat.

I have planted it in the nearly empty East Border, where it may fill most of the space, though winter cold and low water may keep it a little smaller than the dimensions listed above.  It will need some additional planting as it is said to be slow to wake up in areas with winter cold. (Note: I also see advice to avoid planting it near concrete as the roots are quite powerful.)  It is such an open plant that I am wondering about the possibility of growing other plants up through it.  In the meantime, I am enjoying its evident pleasure in being in the ground!
Caesalpinia pulcherrima, new planting
Weather Diary: Light clouds; High: 102 F (39 C)/Low: 79 F (26 C)

8 comments:

  1. It's a great plant, well chosen! I love it but could not grow it around here. I've seen beautiful specimens in Africa though. Friend gave me a Jacaranda but I'm not sure if it'll survive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking into the background of these plants, I'm surprised they are so successful here; but one sees them everywhere, usually healthy... I hope your Jacaranda grows and blooms; they're so lovely!

      Delete
  2. a lovely delicate-looking plant which reminds me of a fern. I am sure it will thrive under your excellent management!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The leaves are very fern-like - not so common in plants that grow here so all the more enjoyable when it comes along! Thanks, Ann :)

      Delete
  3. I'm going to look at the local big box stores to see if I can find the plant there. My local nursery carries it but only in huge pots at exorbitant prices. I'd love to have it in my garden. I hope yours settles in well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far it's pleased with being in the ground, Kris. I hope you can find one in a reasonable size; I would think it would make sense to sell smaller ones as the growth rate seems to be rapid. Ultimate size can apparently be controlled by the amount of water, by the way - allowing the plants to range from 6 ft to 20 ft from what I read...

      Delete
  4. Judging by the photo you must be looking forward to yours flowering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly am :) The plants themselves are quite attractive, but the blooms are marvelous!

      Delete