Tuesday, August 23, 2016

In a Vase: Simplicity

After Cathy's challenge, some weeks ago, to create an ikebana-style vase, I have been hoping to try my hand at it again eventually.  This week seemed a good time to do something a bit different, as the weather is changing and the garden is shifting seasons along with it.  Much of the best bloom at the moment is from flowers that do not last well when cut.  So I thought about possible material for a second unauthentic ikebana, and that was the starting point for today's vase.
One side is primarily stems of Senna nemophila.  These appear as a haze of leafless green branches, but the thread-like "leaves" (technically phyllodes) are plentiful.
Then there are stems of native wildflower Eriogonum deflexum.  These stems truly are leafless, and they are in flower now.
With its network of wiry, leafless stems, this plant takes the common name "Skeleton Weed", among others.  The blooms are quite small and sparse this year, and at present they are still white.  They normally turn a delicate pink as weather cools.  These stems were cut from a plant that seeded itself into a crack between patio and house -- a place likely to retain any available bits of precious moisture.

I also cut some stems of Gaura (now Oenothera lindheimeri) though it does not have a history of cutting well for me.  I wanted it mostly for the long, slender stems, anyway.
And lastly there is a bloom from rose "Wollerton Old Hall", a bit summer-weary but still lovely.
I put all into a stoneware vase which I threw on the potter's wheel last year.  It is covered in a traditional dark brown glaze whose sobriety seemed appropriate to the simple plant material.

Although I usually make my bouquets to be viewed from any angle, the back view of this one is just that -- the back.
I'm sure this won't be the last time I play with the ikebana idea...  Perhaps next time the results will look a little more like the real thing!

Thank you to Cathy for hosting this meme!  It's wonderful to follow along at Rambling in the Garden and see what others have put in vases this week!
Weather Diary: Partly cloudy; High: 98 F (37 C)/Low: 78 F (17 C); Humidity: 26%-62%


6 comments:

  1. Lovely simplicity! (98F with 62% humidity sounds like torture!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Loree! Fortunately, the two highs did not occur at the same time! ;-)

      Delete
  2. I love that Senna. In your photos it reminds me of Acacia 'Cousin Itt'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love your shots of "Cousin Itt"! That Senna took about a year to really settle in; now it's one of the fastest growing plants in the garden!

      Delete
  3. Love the simplicity - and Woollerton Old Hall is my favourite ever David Austin rose! What a beast of a thing it is, and the flowers are sublime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flowers are the best of both worlds, aren't they? Very refined but with a cottagey simplicity to them. I honestly think WOH will prove another of their top roses - right up there with Gertrude Jekyll and Graham Thomas - at least if its performance here is at all typical, which would seem to be true ;-)

      Delete