Saturday, May 15, 2021

A Quick Hike With Wildflowers

 

With our house on the market, we have to find someplace to go while it's being shown.  This morning's outing took us to a trailhead for the Katy Trail, which is a 237 mile trail across much of the state of Missouri.  Much of it runs along old railroad tracks; and the name derives from the Missouri-Kansas-Texas railroad, or MKT.  Hence Katy.  A very typical Missourism!

We certainly did not hike very far along it ourselves, but we did photograph a few wildflowers we found growing by the side of the trail.

There was quite a bit of Tradescantia virginiana or possibly T. ohlensis, the spiderwort (above).

There were spreading bushes of Rosa multiflora (below), sadly an invasive species here.  (Reader, I have grown it here myself before I knew its proclivities for world domination; it was a mistake!)


And there was this lovely pink-purple flower, which I have yet to identify.  One friend has already suggested Lunaria, but the leaves aren't right for that, though the flowers are similar.  The leaves look rather like Phlox, in fact--long, lanceolate and deep green.  But I don't know any Phlox species that would quite match the flowers and the 3 ft height...


So that was my little jaunt, other than the honeysuckle, which is also a problematic invasive, but gave off its wonderful scent in the rainy air.  Here it is clambering upwards, as it does!


5 comments:

  1. The flower on your Phlox-like plant made me think of Matthiola, commonly known as stock. Was it scented? I hope the house sale process goes smoothly - and quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matthiola is definitely another look-alike for it! But I'm pretty sure now it was Hesperis matronalis, which apparently is a fairly common old garden escapee in the region. I couldn't detect much scent, but I also didn't try very hard to smell it so I can't be sure. I didn't expect it to be so difficult to identify!

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, Hesperis... I also thought Lunaria too, and am now confused and must look them both up. I have both annual and perennial Lunaria and the perennial looks very similar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Formal gardens are symmetrical and geometrical and are strict in terms of repeating patterns and plant materials on either side. It is very controlled, plants are clipped, shaped, manipulated regularly and today is often suitable for small gardens like court yards. empresas de mantenimiento de jardines

    ReplyDelete