Monday, May 24, 2021

Ring Around Some Roses

rosebuds, hellebore flowers, and a heuchera leaf for In a Vase on Monday

Today's vase (if such it can be called) makes use of the first rosebuds and the last hellebores.  Also of my very reliable heuchera, in the form of one largish leaf.

I remain convinced that this noID miniature rosebush is an unlabeled plant of 'Daniela', which I grew in Arizona.  What other deep red mini will shoot rapidly to knee-high and taller, then explode into half a hundred flowerbuds?  Whatever it is, it's been a bright spot in the garden ever since I planted it.

The hellebore is H. x 'Ivory Prince'.  It opens just as the earliest bulbs are finishing, providing extra interest as the spring season moves from squill and rock irises to mid-season Narcissus.  I didn't expect it to last all the way to the first roses, but here we are, though some might argue that the blooms are a little past 'lasting', being rather tattered by now.

And the marbled red leaf comes from Heuchera 'Carnival Rose Granita', or so I think.  At any rate it was from the Carnival series, which is said to be a hybrid Villosa, good for heat tolerance.

close-up of rosebuds, hellebore flowers, and a heuchera leaf for In a Vase on Monday

The lovely, small, blue dish was made by my friend, Canadian potter Rosie Sarich.  It is a saucedish from a larger nacho set I ordered from her, and I have kept it out from the packing because it is so useful, though I didn't expect to use it as a vase!

But I have to be quite creative about containers at present because just about everything is now packed onto the moving trailer.  And the trailer is locked and due to be picked up tomorrow.  

So we are eking out our last efforts here before hitting the road. An AC repair on our truck, packing the few things we've kept with us, some last clean-up, and a job I have put off as long as I well could--digging my irises to pot up some of the rhizomes.  None are quite to the dormant stage yet though I've waited as long as possible.  But they are sturdy, vigorous plants and will hopefully forgive and survive my timing!

Meantime, the miniature rose is taking over the show in my tiny border.  It is transitioning from late spring to early summer here.

At least I managed to post this week; last Monday I was still dealing with no internet, thanks to a lightning strike that destroyed the only thing left vulnerable in our electric outlets: the modem.  I still say it was sheer bad luck as there really wasn't very much lightning, just a few close strikes.  One did the job! With everything else that was happening, it took me awhile to get the replacement issue sorted.  All done now, though, and a Monday vase to cheer us on!

Thanks, as always, to Cathy for hosting In a Vase on Monday!  

rosebuds, hellebore flowers, and a heuchera leaf for In a Vase on Monday


9 comments:

  1. Good luck, safe journey, and look forward to hearing about and seeing the new property!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Cathy! I'm looking forward to growing desert plants again! ;-)

      Delete
  2. Such beauty! Good luck with the move, I’m glad the ac is fixed, and if I were you I’d take as much as humanly possible from the garden, including the hellebore and rose! I’m embarrassed to say that when I moved last time I had a separate small (ish) van just for the plants! Carrier bags served well as interim pots! Lots and lots of love and luck with the move, and make sure to nurture yourselves in every way as often as possible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am off to pick up the truck; supposedly all is well now! I'll be taking my antique rose that is still potted up from our previous move, but I'm leery of taking the mini as there is rose rosette disease out and about here. Safest to steer clear, I think, and minis thankfully can usually be picked up at garden centers and even grocery stores at various times of the year. Hopefully I can find this variety again!

      Delete
  3. I've missed your miniature roses, Amy! You've reminded me of my intent to try one in my current garden where roses in general don't do well. Best wishes with the move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I began by being very doubtful about the minis, Kris, but I find they are so much more reliable and durable than I expected. I think their smaller size allows them to "bounce back" from both heat and cold rather quickly. In fact, the biggest worry I've had with this one was whether it would go dormant quickly enough in the winter! It almost won't stop flowering!

      Delete
  4. That's an astonishing rose. Amy - I have always shied away from the miniature ones, but if they grow like this one does then it is worth considering after all. Will it flower all summer? What a lovely little vase it makes with the last of your hellebores and the gorgeous heuchera leaf. Will you be gobne by next Monday? Best wishes for the move and all those last minute tasks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been astonished by the minis myself, Cathy. This one is definitely very robust--more so than some, but they are after all selected for vigorous growth. It will indeed flower all summer, then all autumn. In fact, it take significant winter cold to get it to stop.
      I'm hoping to be gone by next Monday, but we are having to pace the last bit of work more slowly than I could wish. Fingers crossed though!

      Delete
  5. Outdoor storage may be fitted with a porch and other accessories. When looking at garden shed designs, check what each manufacturer has to offer. mantenimiento jardín



    ReplyDelete